If you are serious about your barbecue, then you’ve certainly considered the noble art of smoking. This is when the food is smoked using charcoal, gives beef, pork or chicken that has a very distinct and rich flavor.
However, you might be wondering how you can find a smoker that will fit into your smaller garden. Smokers are traditionally horizontal in their design, so finding one that will be able to store and smoke all your green and meats in separate containers will be crucial to anyone who is pushed for space.
But what benefits are there to propane smoking? Well, these units run completely independently, requiring no additional power from the mains. You can also run them at very intense heats, which is great if you want to get that consistent grilling for up to 8-12 hours.
So where can you find the best propane smokers? What materials does a decent propane smoker need to be made from to give you everything that you need for consistent smoking? What features should you be looking for if you want to separate your meat? How much can you be expected to pay for a decent propane smoker?
Well, if you are looking for that ideal barbeque set for your home, then you should look no further, as we’ve got a list of some of the best propane smokers that money can buy. We have a list of the most affordable and durable models on the market, along with a buyer’s guide to help you when buying the right smoker for your home.
List Of Best Propane Smokers
This first propane smoker is one of the best out there, with a cast iron construction that comes with numerous shelves that you won’t have to worry about cross-contamination. This comes with chrome racks with temperature controls that you can use to regulate the amount of gas and heat that will enter your chamber – introducing the Masterbuilt MB20051316 Propane Smoker.
This smoker comes with a safety setting that will remove the flow of gas automatically once the flame has been extinguished. This comes with a stainless steel heat distribution, so you can be sure that you’ll have everything that you need for a wonderful and warmed-through beef or pork dish.
This smoker can reach high temperatures of up to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. This is great for having that slow and consistent heat which will allow you to make sure that your meat slides off the bone once it’s done. You can easily pack a rack full of ribs into this smoker and have them come out all equally cooked.
- This has a thermostatic temperature gauge, which is something that a lot of smokers do not have. Having this level of control over the temperature of your meat is what sets this one apart from all the rest.
- This comes with a cast iron construction, which means it will be very durable, lasting you for decades if you keep it maintained just right.
- This has numerous shelves, which are great for giving you that utterly warmed-through meat. This is also great if you have a smaller garden and are looking to save on a lot of space.
- You can control the temperature gauge of this smoker to within the degree. This is very important if you are following a recipe and you need a very specific outcome.
- This comes with a short warranty period, so that if you want that assurance against damages, maybe go with a different option.
This next smoker is one of the best for the price, coming at the lower end of the price spectrum. This is perfect for anyone who has a family and might be pushed on space, giving you plenty of room on the interior for you to cook a whole range of meats at once – introducing the Dyna-Glo DGY784BDP 36-inch Vertical LP Gas Smoker.
This one comes with a double door system that will allow you to open and control the cooking chamber. This comes with a control dial at the bottom, which allows you to amend the heating chamber. The interior of this smoker is deceptively large, allowing you to pile your smoker with a delicious range of meat and vegetables.
This comes with an electronic ignition button at the bottom, which allows for easy operation. This also has a water tray and chip access, so that you can top up the charcoal at the bottom of your smoker. This is very important if you want to increase or decrease the heat with a precise level of control.
- This has a vertical design, so you can be sure that it will save you a lot of space. This will definitely appeal to anyone who has a limited garden room but still wants that luxury grilling experience.
- This has wire racks that are perfect for heating above and below the food, making sure that it is warmed slowly and thoroughly right into the center.
- You can get into the chamber of this smoker very easily, with a two-door system that will make sure that the coals and other harmful elements of this smoker stay inside the chamber.
- This has an easy-to-use electric lighter function, which is perfect for anyone who might be unaccustomed to smokers and needs something fairly simple to switch on.
- This smoker can struggle in cold weather, so if you are thinking of having an autumn or winter grilling session, then we would recommend that you get a more robust machine.
This next propane smoker is probably our favorite budget option. It comes in a wonderfully solid cast iron design which is also vertical, saving you space. This is probably the most durable smoker on our list, with a cast iron inside and stainless steel inside that will be able to handle large amounts of heat – introducing the Cuisinart COS-244 Vertical 36-inch Propane Smoker.
This smoker is very easy to assemble, coming in very few parts that are very easy to put together. This comes with a very tight seal on the door, which will dramatically reduce the amount of smoke that will leak into your garden. You can be sure there’ll be no heat lost and that your meat will grill in no time at all.
You can easily lock this smoker, which will also make it very safe for children to be around. Often some barbecuers will be worried about operating one of these machines around children. But don’t worry, this one has been designed with the utmost safety in mind, so you won’t have to worry about anyone at your party getting hurt.
- This smoker is very easy for beginners to use – we would certainly recommend it for anyone who is just starting in the world of smokers.
- This comes in a vertical design, which makes it one of the best units to have if you are very short on space. We would recommend getting this smoker to have on the balcony of your apartment.
- This door is one of the most secure, not only will it cut down on pollution in your garden, but it will also make sure no fire poses any risk to your guests.
- This comes in a very sturdy design with a great warranty, so if you want a smoker that will be with you for life, you can’t do much worse than this one.
- The placement of the water bowl will sometimes result in your chips becoming soggy and not lighting properly. This certainly won’t appeal to anyone who wants a reliable grill.
Next up we have a smoker that is a lot smaller than a lot of the others we’ve listed here. It has a combination of propane and electrical power that will give you plenty of versatility when it comes to heating the inner chamber. This is very compact and will pretty much be able to fit in most gardens – introducing the Masterbuilt MB20071117 Digital Electric Smoker.
This unit comes with foldable legs, which is great if you don’t want to bend down all the time to put your meat in the smoker. This is a much shorter unit than a lot of the smokers that you might find on the market. You can use it to fit in nicely with your apartment garden. It also has a very well sealed door, so you can be sure that very little smoke will drift into your neighbor’s garden.
This smoker also weighs very little, so if you are finding yourselves swamped in smoke and you need to move your smoker downwind, then you can simply pick this one up and move it. It has a solid design that will also reduce the number of knocks and bangs it will inevitably suffer if it is dropped.
- Portable – this unit can be moved from one end of the garden to the other without issue. Having this versatility when it comes to your smoker will be very important if you are having to seat large numbers of people.
- Compact – you can tuck this one neatly into a corner in a manner that will not disturb any of your guests.
- You can shut this door nice and tight and not have to worry about any additional pollution that will affect either you or the neighbors.
- This has a gas cylinder that is very easy to change. You also have the option of operating this electrically or using your propane. This is ideal for anyone who likes to practice different heating techniques.
- This is another very awkward drip trap that might dampen your charcoal chips and cause you some neck ache when it comes to grilling your meat to a high standard.
Our final smoker is probably the coolest looking in terms of design, coming as it does in the style of an old-fashioned bank vault. This smoker is not only the most cosmetically interesting, but it is also the most affordable and dependable, perfect for cooking pizza, ribs and corn on the cob – introducing the Camp Chef Smoke Vault.
This smoker comes with solid steel construction, with a steel chip tray at the bottom that will easily be able to handle a large amount of heat. You can also be sure that the legs are very sturdy, it won’t wobble or discharge any hot coals. This is a griller that actually requires very little maintenance at all.
This has a straightforward setup, so if you are a first-time griller, then you won’t have to worry about twiddling too many dials or handling molten hot materials. This is also a great setup for a family unit, as the safety measures are not only incredible but you can leave it unattended and not have to worry.
- This comes with a very straightforward setup, so if you are not someone who enjoys fiddling for hours with propane tanks and hot coals, then this is the smoker for you.
- The look – if you want to impress your friends at the next barbecue, then you definitely want to have one of these smokers. The old-fashioned style will give your back garden area that touch of class.
- This will use quite a low level of propane, which is great if you want to save on energy and ensure that pollution is kept to a minimum.
- The solid design – this smoke will not wobble or keel over, which is what a lot of other cheaper units have the propensity to do.
- The size – when it comes to internal space, you are a little more restricted than you are with the larger smoker. If you want to grill food for any more than 10 people, we would suggest that you opt for something with more room.
When it comes to smokers, there will be a few essentials that you’ll need, although some of the features will all depend on the style of barbequing that you intend on doing.
When it comes to your smoker, you’ll want to make sure that you have everything that you need to make sure that your food is cooked to perfection.
Here are a few basic features that you’ll need to have for your smoker:
What Is It Made From?
Having something that is durable and will keep the intense heat of your smoker on the inside will be very important, especially if you want to keep your family safe. Having a low heat transfer from the internal chamber to the exterior will be a must to avoid injury.
Most of these smokers are made from cast iron, although you can get some that are manufactured from stainless steel. Stainless steel is best for the internal chamber of your smoker, making it much easier to clean.
Does It Have A Temperature Gauge?
Having a temperature gauge will be very important for your griller, as this will be how you can control the airflow as well as the heat that you’ll be getting to your meat. Remember: a large slab of beef will require a lot more heat than chicken wings.
Having a temperature gauge is also a good method of keeping everyone safe. If you want to leave your barbeque to entertain your guests, you might want to turn the heat down a few degrees.
How Portable Is It?
As mentioned above, there are a few smokers that come in a very transportable size. This means that you should be able to take it with you in your RV. Imagine pulling up next to a beautiful clear lake and smoking your favorite meat in the comfort of your RV.
This is why having a portable propane smoker will be very important, you can camp outside without having to worry about hooking your heater up to the mains.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Best Material For A Propane Smoker?
A propane smoker operates at much higher temperatures, so you’ll need something that is made from a metal that can conduct heat very well. Cast iron is probably the best metal for your smoker to be made from, although you can be sure that this will also be extremely heavy.
You can get stainless steel smokers, although these might warp and will certainly not be able to stand the test of time in the same way as a cast-iron smoker.