When it comes to having a decent barbeque, you’ll want all the essentials nearby: ketchup, buns, some relish and oil for the charcoal.
However, one thing that you might have overlooked, which is very important for making sure that your meat is extremely well cooked, is a decent set of tongs.
Tongs come in all different shapes and sizes. Are you finding it difficult to keep a decent grip on some of the chunkier meats? Or do your tongs accidentally transfer the heat from the grill straight to your hands?
Well, you can avoid these painful hazards by buying a pair of tongs with rubber in the handles.
Having the right set of tongs will make all the difference between a good barbecue and a bad one. You can be sure that you are handling everything that you need with the utmost skill and dexterity. You can also make sure that you cook your food right the way through to the center, avoiding food poisoning.
So where can you find the best grill tongs? What features does it need to have to allow you to get your meat or vegetables grilled on both sides? What materials do your tongs need to be made from to give you the best results? How much should you be looking to pay for a decent pair of grill tongs?
List Of Best Grill Tongs
This pair of 16-inch steel tongs give you a great deal of length that will keep you away from the hotter elements of your grill. You’ll have rubber handles which will be great for dissipating any heat, allowing you to maintain your grill for longer without the use of any gloves – introducing the OXO Good Grips 16-Inch Stainless Steel Locking Tongs.
This will allow you to wield your food for a lot longer. We all know that the most important thing about cooking food on your grill will be the amount of time that you can hold your food over the grilling zone. This comes with a locking mechanism that you can easily pop open with one hand.
These come at a very affordable price, so if you are looking for the occasional pair of tongs to use, then these are a great cost-effective option. You can lock these tongs in place so they will not fall onto the floor and get damaged or dirty. The stainless steel construction makes these a very easy unit to clean.
- The locking mechanism of these tongs is very easy to use, with a single flip of your finger, you’ll be able to unlock them.
- These are a very smooth and safe pair of tongs to use – you could even hand these off to your children and not have to worry about them burning or cutting themselves.
- The price – these are very affordable, making them perfect for the first-time griller who might want something that allows them to handle a lot of different meat of various shapes and sizes with ease.
- These tongs are 16-inches in length, which is great for giving you that extra ability to control the meat, making sure that it is warmed through to the center.
- These tongs are sold on their own, so if you are looking for a pack that will give you great value and lasts you a long time, you might have to look for another pair. We would also recommend that you get a pack rather than a single pair.
This next pair of tongs are also 16-inches in length, giving you everything that you’ll need to protect your hands from pain and burning. These also have a very simple locking mechanism that will allow you to hang them up once you are done with them – introducing the Cuisinart CIT-102 Locking Grill Tongs.
These tongs have a very comfortable grip, which is great for reducing the amount of heat that is transferred to your hands and the level of control that you’ll have over your meat or vegetables. These have scalloped edges, so you won’t have to worry about them catching on the edge of your meat. They will also ensure your meat won’t slip out.
Having something that is very hygienic and not susceptible to grit and dirt will be very important for having a healthy barbeque experience. You’ll be able to wash this stainless steel set of tongs very easily and quickly. Having something that you can be certain will keep hygienic is very important for a good set of tongs.
- These tongs are great for handling various types of meat – whether it is large cuts of fish, pork or beef – you can be sure that you’ll be able to handle them with extreme care.
- This pair of tongs has a very comfortable grip, with rubber in the handles that will reduce the amount of heat and make sure that you won’t burn.
- These tongs are incredibly durable, they won’t get damaged and can survive more than one drop onto your wooden decking or concrete flooring.
- These tongs have scalloped heads, which will give you a lot of control when you are trying to flip over your burgers or hot dogs. Very often these pincers will make it very difficult to grasp hold of a slab of meat, however, these tongs will make it much easier.
- You cannot put these tongs in the dishwasher, as they might damage the delicate internal mechanisms. If you want to avoid handwashing things, we would recommend another brand.
Having tongs that will be very comfortable for you to hold will be very important, as this will stop you from burning yourself. Having a set of tongs that are comfortable in your hands will also give you that extra dexterity over your meat, allowing you the option of being able to cook it through – introducing the Weeber 6610 Original Tongs.
These tongs come in a massive 18-inches, so you can be sure that you will have enough distance between you and your grill, which will ensure that you won’t get yourself burned. If you are a newbie to the world of grilling meat, then you might want to keep as much distance between you and the grill as possible.
This has a flatter design that will help you to pierce the food, which again means a lot more control over your grilled food. This set of tongs also comes with a ring that you can use to hang over your oven or grill area. These tongs are not only very easy to use, but they are extremely safe.
- The design – this comes with a flatter design that you can use to stab through as well as handling your food. Having your burgers cooked on both sides will give you everything you need for that right-through-the-center grill.
- This set of tongs will allow you to roast your meat to within the degree, which will give you that wonderful, slide-off-the-bone taste.
- This has a very comfortable grip that will be highly cool to the touch, so you won’t have to worry about your hand or anything else burning.
- This has a very long length that will allow you to keep a safe distance from your grill. If you are a very cautious griller who wants to get used to their smoker, then we would recommend that you pick up one of these very handy tongs.
- The pincers can pierce through your food, which might not be great if the presentation of your grilled food is very important e.g. if you own a restaurant.
These next pair of tongs also feature a very wonderful-looking mechanism that you can use to hang your tongs above the oven. If you have your tong tips facing upwards then they will lock automatically, so you won’t have to worry about any safety issues – introducing the Rosle Stainless Steel Lock and Release Click Tongs.
These tongs are made entirely from stainless steel, so you can keep them spotless, even on a hand wash. You’ll need to make sure that you don’t leave them on the stove, as they have rubber and silicone in the handles, which will melt under extreme pressure. However, this will mean that there won’t be a massive transfer of heat from the tong to your hand.
These tongs are very dishwasher safe, which will add to your ability to clean them. We would also recommend that you use the ring that comes in the handle to hang them from the top of your grill or smoker when you are not using them. These have a one-hand locking mechanism that will enable you to keep them safe and out of the reach of children.
- This has a wonderful stainless steel composition that you can be sure you can clean in the dishwasher. It will give you everything you need for that spotless dishwasher finish.
- This is easy to clean, which will reduce the food matter that gets stuck to your utensil. This is very important if you are making sure there is very little bacteria transmitted from your grill to the plate.
- These come with silicone handles, so you won’t have to worry about the heat traveling through the metal and into your hands.
- This handle comes with an O-ring that you can use to hang up your tongs when they are not in use. This will definitely appeal to anyone who doesn’t want to leave potentially dangerous equipment around their children.
- The handles on this set of tongs do tend to get very warm, which will certainly be an issue if you are looking to handle meat for an extended period.
This final set of tongs are great if you want more than one pair in case of damages. Also, if you like to be a little more organized around your grill, then we would definitely suggest that you get a set of these color-coded beauties. These are great for separating the meat tongs from the vegetable tongs – introducing the Broil King 64312 3-Pack Color-Coded Baron Grill Tong Set.
This is probably the best set of tongs that you can have for preventing cross-contamination, as they come in a range of different colors. This will be very important if you have people that suffer from extreme allergies or are die-hard vegetarians. This is the best way to avoid getting beef fat on the corn on the cob.
You can be sure that you won’t be short on utensils when you get this set. This is probably the cheapest option for you, coming in a wide range of tongs for the price of one. These are very durable, crafted from stainless steel, which will be very easy to clean once you have finished using them.
- This color-coding will work wonders for preventing cross-contamination – if you have some vegetarian and meat-eating friends, you can soothe their anxieties with a set of color-coded tongs.
- These tongs are very easy to clean, coming with a stainless steel finish that you can be sure will be easy to wipe down.
- This comes with one scalloped and one flat pincer, both of which will give you the ultimate level of control over your food.
- This whole set comes at a very reasonable price, perfect if you want not only one but a few backup tongs.
- There is no locking mechanism with this set of tongs, which might be difficult if you are trying to find a safe place to store them when they are not in use.
There will be a few basic things that you’ll want your tongs to provide, especially when you are entertaining a group of people and you’ll want the cross-contamination to be kept to an absolute minimum. Here are just some things that you’ll be looking for:
Are Your Tongs One-Handed?
Having a set of one-handed tongs will be very important if you are looking to be serving food as well as cooking.
One-handed tongs will give you the freedom to do this. Having tongs that will lock will also protect them from children, who can often find some way to injure themselves, even on a blunt set of tongs.
What Are Your Tongs Made From?
Having tongs that are made from several different materials not only enhances their functionality but will make them a lot safer.
For example, if your tongs have rubber or silicone handles, then very little heat will be transferred to your hands. This means that you can cook longer and more comfortably.
Do They Have Scalloped Edges?
Having scalloped edges will make all the difference when it comes to turning over your burgers and any other potentially slippery items of food.
Meat often gets greasy, so making sure that you have a cupped design will increase the chances that your slaved-over burger won’t drop onto the floor.
Are They Color Coded?
Having color coding will be very important when you are trying to limit the amount of cross-contamination. If you have vegetarians at your barbecue, then they could be very uncomfortable around sharing a grill with meat-eaters.
However, if you have a separate grill with green tongs to indicate that these tongs are only for vegetarians, then you can put their minds at ease a little.
Frequently Asked Questions
How Durable Should Your Tongs Be?
Ideally, you should have very sturdy tongs, made from stainless steel or a combination of stainless steel and rubber, to minimize the levels of heat transfer.
Stainless steel is not only easy to clean, but it will also survive several impacts, which can often happen when you are grilling.
Are All Tongs Dishwasher-Friendly?
A lot of the tongs listed above, especially the ones that are made purely from metal, are very suitable for putting in the dishwasher. This will certainly appeal to anyone who does not want to bother cleaning up their utensils after they have spent a long day cooking.
However, if you buy some tongs that contain rubber or silicone grips, then you can be looking to see some superficial wear and tear after time. This is because the rubber portions are not water-resistant, especially when the water is as hot and intense as it is in the dishwasher.